Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Green Cathedral


When I was a kid - junior high, to be exact, I had the (dubious) pleasure of of singing in our school's chorus under the tutelage of Mrs. Clark. A real character. If the boys (always the boys) acted up, she threatened to "put on her red-checked apron", emblematic for giving them a spanking. Actually, corporal punishment was widely used in those days, so it wasn't by any means an idle threat.

But she was an outstanding music teacher. Most of what I know about music theory was taught to me then. I went on to "major" in music throughout high school, taking 3 classes a day (theory, voice, and chorus) but I owe Mrs. Clark for the basics she taught as well as the love of singing which she inspired.

One of her gifts to me was a love of the "art" form of music - poetry set to a non-linear music pattern. A challenge to the voice and a lift to the spirit. I always loved a song called, "The Green Cathedral" because I thought it depicted an idealized, romantic view of a green forest. Actually, I'd never seen such a place, but I wanted it to be. Now I live in a part of the country where such a site is rather commonplace.

This week Wally and I joined Chris and Marty (and Ian and Sophie, of course) on a camping trip into Southwest Washington in the Gifford-Pinchot National Forest. We camped among tall Doug Firs and old Cedars. Wow! At one spot Marty discovered a "cathedral" setting of trees, leaning into one another. As I snapped this picture, I was singing this old song:

The Green Cathedral
I know a green cathedral, a shadowed forest shrine, Where leaves in love join hands above and arch your prayer and mine. Within its cool depths sacred, the priestly cedar sighs, And the fir and pine lift arms divine unto the pure blue skies. In my dear green cathedral there is a sheltered seat, And choir loft in branched croft, where songs of bird hymns sweet; And I like to dream at evening, when the stars its arches light, That my Lord and God treads its hallowed sod, In the cool calm peace of night.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,

    Do you know who the author of the poem is?

    If so, can you tell me a little about him (or her)?

    Thank you,

    Raul Lacayo, from Nicaragua
    rlacayos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raul, the verse (lyrics) are by Gordon Johnstone, and the music is by Carl Hahn.

      Delete
  2. we sang this is 7thn grade chorus. When we looked at a piece of GA mountain property last week, this song filled my head and heart because it was soo beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up with this song in my head this morning, and found your blog post of long ago... I so enjoyed it- and your photo.
    I learned this song from my classroom teacher in 4th grade. She used it to teach us the concept of harmony. I always loved music. Even tho I ended up an art teacher, there was always music in my room.
    Since I learned this song 65 years ago, I had managed to forget some of the words... I appreciate finding them here.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sang this in Junior High in the late 50's. The tune has always been in my head especially when we vacation in northern Wisconsin. So glad I googled it today. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete